Thursday, October 17, 2013

ANOTHER FALL - THURS., OCT. 17, 2013



October 17, 2013, Thursday. RNC (Todd)called about 9:45 AM to say that Mom had another fall, bumped her head and hurt her left elbow. I went to NH about 10:10, fed the birds and found Mom in an activity. Nurse Diane said that Mom had been looking for a way out of the facility all morning. She fell walking to the bathroom with a walker!? I think she must have borrowed Tina’s because hers was still folded up against the wall. I changed DVD to Singing in the Rain. I sat with Mom in the activity and checked her bump on her head and her elbow, which was bleeding slightly with no bandage. We went to Nurse Diane and got it covered then went to the covered patio and sat in the sunlight. Mom asked me “Where’s Melanie?”  I bought Mom some chips then took her to the dining room for lunch. I got her a coffee and left about 11:30 AM. Dr. Fran and Nurse Diane discussed urine analysis from Monday with me which indicated no abnormalities. I saw Hospice C.N.A. Wendy putting diapers in the hospice clients rooms and told her about the labeling. Mom is feeling spunky.
LATER: I went to the NH about 5 PM. I fed the birds, half of the blinds open. Mom was in her room, sitting on her bed back to the windows with her supper tray set-up in front of her. Her teeth were in a cup of water, no glasses and O2 on but the cannula was on her bed beside her. Her bump on her head looks about the same. She had no slacks on and her leg bandage was out of place, loose, but still covering the worst of the wound. She said the room was going round and round and she wanted to lie down. I opened the other half of the blinds, got her on the bed and raised the head of the bed and put the table with supper over her lap. I found her glasses in a drawer, put those on her, put her teeth in, and put the cannula in place on her nostrils. She wasn’t very hungry but I coaxed some of the broccoli & cauliflower down her with parmesan cheese and ketchup, some rice. I returned the tray to the dining room then Mom & I hung up clean clothes. I turned up the sound on the DVD and we watched the birds and talked about the movie. Mom got a card from Quembe which we read and talked about Quembe and OK.  Tina told a different version of Mom’s fall this morning. She says that Mom fell out of her wheelchair on the “hill” going to the Great Room. Tina says that she had her back to Mom so she didn’t see the actual fall. I cleaned Mom’s teeth and left them in the cup with mouthwash and water. I gave Mom a chocolate and a caramel and a sugarless caramel to Tina. Mom did not want me to go and leave her all alone. We looked at all the stuff in her room and channel surfed then back to DVD. I left about 6:30 PM and Mom told me to come straight home after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment