Monday, October 21, 2013

ANOTHER FALL, SUNDAY, OCT. 20 & MONDAY, OCT. 21, 2013



October 20, 2013, Sunday. RNC called ABOUT 1:30 pm. Nurse said that another resident found Mom on the floor in the dining room, that she slid out of her chair. As Nurse was speaking to me, Mom took off at rapid pace and Nurse caught up to her and invited her to speak with me. I asked Mom “how are you feeling?” She responded that “I didn’t spill anything.” I told Mom I would come see her about 5 PM. She said okay and good-bye then I heard her tell Nurse that I was coming at 5:30 PM. I told Nurse it would be about 5 PM and asked if Mom had any injuries. Nurse said that Mom was all right. It sounds like Mom is exercising. Carl called and said that he and Charlotte would meet me at Mom’s with the painting of the dog for approval.
LATER: I went to the NH about 4:45 PM. Carl and Charlotte were there. Charlotte looked great and Carl brought excellent birdseed, cleaned out the Recreation Dept. birdfeeder too and brought flowers. Mom was in bed, no glasses, no teeth. It looked like she has not had her teeth in today. I gave her her teeth and glasses. Carl & Char left and I put the table over Mom’s bed so she could eat in bed. She has a deep wet cough today. She did not eat well but some salad and some of the pizza topping. She ate her ice cream only after I squished up a chocolate in it. She had that bad tasting pudding on her tray again. Tina did not have a comparable dish on her tray. We did some personal care and I clipped her toenails. She said it hurt for me to handle her toes and her big toe nail, left foot looks dead and the toe looks swollen. She most definitely does not feel well, very tired and lethargic. We channel surfed some then I put the TV back on Singing in the Rain. I cleaned Mom’s teeth and gave Mom and Tina some candy. I left Mom on her bed, O2 on, lap blankets over her about 6:30 PM. I stopped by the Nurse station and spoke with Nurse Linda about Mom not feeling well.
Mom still has a good supply of diapers.
October 21, 2013, Monday. I got a call from Nurse Todd at RNC that Mom has bronchitis and they are starting an antibiotic. I asked what I should do and he said just “be supportive.” I played phone tag with Nurse Regina from Hospice today. We communicated by email. Dr. Maxwell wants to put Mom in a high back chair to slow down falls. I don’t know how that will help? But okay. I went to the NH about 5 PM. There was birdseed in the feeder and I added some more to the flat feeder. Riley signed the book this afternoon. Mom was on her bed under the covers, O2 on but cannula out of place. I fixed it up and started getting her set-up to eat in bed. Someone brought a tray with spaghetti but Mom was coughing and there was a nebulizer on the desk by her. I went to nurse station and asked for chicken soup. Nurse Diane brought chicken soup to the room. Mom ate some fruit, some soup and some of the veggies. A man brought the new chair and another nebulizer  wrapped in plastic. I put Mom’s old chair out in the hallway, took the leg rests off the new chair and put them under the chest of drawers (those things tear up Mom’s legs when she reaches for the floor.) A. C.N.A. came and took Mom’s tray. I cleaned Mom’s teeth and plugged her bed back into the wall and adjusted the bed. I got Mom’s dirty clothes together. I changed the DVD to Swing Time, gave Mom and Tina candy and left with Mom’s dirty clothes about 7 PM. I spoke to Nurse Linda before I left to say the new chair and nebulizer had been delivered
Note about swallowing: Mom often chews up food then wants to spit it out. If I give her a Reese’s Pieces, or cake or cookie, she has no difficulty swallowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment