Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 3 - 5, 2013



March 3, 2013, Sunday. I went to the NH about 4 PM. I fed the birds, blinds closed. Mom was resting on her bed, O2 on, glasses on, DVD playing Fred A., sound turned down, no teeth. Her teeth were on bedside table in soapy water as if never put in today. I asked if she wanted to go for a ride and she initially said no. I helped her into her w/c. I brushed her teeth and gave them to her. We did some personal care. Then I signed her out and we went to the car. While transferring her to the car I hit her L shin with the door and caused a skin tear. I put a band aid on the wound and returned her w/c to her room. We went for a ride. We got a coke at a convenience store then went to gas station and got gas. We rode around in the neighborhood, slowly. Mom was inquisitive and pushing buttons and looking through the car pocket. She inadvertently opened her door while we were at stop sign. That’s new! I showed her the window button and she opened/closed the window. I think the wind was bothering her although it was a warm day, it was very windy. We returned to her room. I changed the DVD to CAST AWAY. Then I accompanied her to the dining room. I told Nurse Luz about Mom’s skin tear. She headed for the dining room to inspect the wound and I left about 5:30 PM.
March 4, 2013, Monday. I did not go to the NH today.
March 5, 2013, Tuesday. I went to the NH about 10:20 AM. I fed the birds, blinds closed. When I entered the facility, Nurse Diane told me that Mom had wandered over to Unit I, opened the exit door independently and went outside. C.N.A. Will witnessed this event and accompanied Mom outside, allowing her to open the door and exit just to see if she could do it and asking her “Where are You going?” Mom responded “I’m going out.” Significantly she did NOT say she was going home or any such indication, just going “out”. Nurse Diane noted that this is the first time Ms Hickerson has done anything like this and we discussed putting a “wander guard” on her. I told Diane I would speak to her after I saw Mom today. Mom was resting on her bed, O2 askew, no glasses, teeth in, DVD on a Fred A. movie (changed from my last visit). I brought clean clothes and we hung them up. Mom did very well with problem solving today. She was cooperative and she spoke in full sentences, asking questions and making comments. I found the letter from Quembe asking if Mom remembered any story about a man being murdered and the body buried on the Riley’s land. Mom said that she remembered no such story, once again, in a conversational context. I checked and washed Mom teeth. She has New Lower Dentures with her name on them! Her uppers still have “Henderson” in them. I gave her potato chips out of her drawer. We did some personal care. Mom demonstrated increased participation. We went to dining room II where the washer competition was just finishing. Mom said she did not want to play so I played then handed the washers to her. She got the highest score of the day! I got 25. She got 65! We returned to her room and I gave her a chocolate and we talked to Tina. Tina noted increased independence and different behaviors on Mom’s part. The birds came and we watched the birds. I accompanied Mom to the dining room for lunch. I got Mom a coffee then went to the nurses station to talk to Diane. I asked that we NOT put the wander guard on Mom, yet. I know it is dangerous for her to exit but I don’t think Mom is trying to go anywhere. She consistently refers to her room as “home”. If she exits the facility again independently then they will put the wander guard on her. My concerns are that this will be more paraphernalia and it is difficult to reverse an order once it is in place. I discussed the teeth name with Diane. She said that she had discussed it with the dentist but they need to hear from me again. I left the NH about Noon. When I got home I called the dentist and spoke with Anna. They said that they would get back to me later today.  The dentist called about 2 hours later and said that they could pick-up Mom’s Teeth Tuesday afternoon, March 12 to change the name on the dentures. I volunteered to return them to Mom ASAP. They said that they would call me Wed. March 13 when they were ready. I called Carl to ask if he could visit Mom today. He was at the facility with Mom when he answered. He said that Mom told him that she had Not seen me today. He brought Mom a banana which she ate and also added fresh birdseed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment