Tuesday, November 19, 2013

MON., NOV. 18 & TUES., NOV. 19, 2013



November 18, 2013, Monday. I went to the NH about 4:50 PM, fed the birds, watered the grass, blinds half open. Mom was asleep on her bed, TV on, sound low, O2 on but cannula out of place, glasses on, teeth in. There was no table in her room. I asked Nurse Steve and also C.N.A. Marcelina for a table. Marcelina brought Mom’s tray and we put it on a bedside stand then Nurse Steve brought a table and we set up at the table, TV off. Mom was consistently agreeable and ate well, slowly; some spaghetti, some salad, some fruit and two small cookies. Contrary to usual behavior, Mom responded “yes” to all inquiries. We looked at some photos and Mom could not identify herself or any of her relatives tonight. Mom was reluctant to use her left hand in hand games and activities tonight. We hung up some clean clothes I brought and by the fourth item she began to understand what we were doing. She was very distant and not responsive to cues about music, dancing or art. I saw Mr. Thomas at Mom’s door. I pointed at him and laughed loudly and he left immediately. I went out to the hall and there was no sign of him. This is suggested defense against “flashers” – point and laugh. I washed Mom’s teeth and gave her a chocolate. I called for assistance and started putting Mom into bed. She was very cooperative and I got Mom into bed. Marcelina came but Mom did not need changing. I put on Mom’s O2, changed the DVD, cleaned her glasses and Mom dozed off quickly. I spoke to Nurse Steve about my perception of changes in Mom. He accompanied me to Mom’s room and took an O2 measure which was good. He suggested that in the future if I note such behavior change in her to see himself or Nurse Jim right away. I left about 6:45 PM. I called Riley and talked about initiating the strategy of “pointing and laughing” at Mr. Thomas if he is seen in the vicinity of Mom’s door. I will also watch for an opportunity to speak directly to Mr. Thomas and tell him to stay away from Mom. I drew his portrait last summer so I am acquainted with him superficially.
November 19, 2013, Tuesday. Regina emailed that Mom has GAINED A LB.! Yea! Change in direction is great! I went to the NH about 4:40 PM. The bird feeders were full. I saw that both Carl and Riley signed the book, visited Mom and Carl said he shared a banana with Mom too. Mom was asleep on her bed. I got her up and into her chair. She argued with me but the food tray came and I got her into her chair. She ate well tonight; all of the chicken salad off of the bread, some of the noodles and all of the brownie. She said she wanted to go for a walk so we did. Tonight she identified herself in photos and her mother’s house. She propelled herself some and enjoyed watching people going around in the hallway. We successfully played patty cake. We returned to the room, hung up some clean clothes then I assisted Mom back onto her bed. We channel surfed, I cleaned Mom’s teeth and gave her a chocolate. I left about 6:45 PM with dirty clothes. I left the TV on the DVD. I saw no sign of Mr. Thomas today.

No comments:

Post a Comment