Friday, March 14, 2014

THURS., MARCH 13 & FRI., MARCH 14, 2013



March 13, 2014, Thursday.  I took Brooks and his luggage to the NH this morning about 10 AM. He will leave from NH this afternoon about 2 PM with his friend, Chuck. I spoke to Nurse Julia and Nurse John. They said that Wendy had bathed Mom this AM so they had given Mom pain meds for the procedure. We saw Wendy in the hallway and she said Mom told her “leave me alone!” That’s a good sign! I opened the blinds when we went in and the squirrel was performing his acrobatics on the birdfeeder and there were birds around. Mom was resting, O2 on but cannula out of place. Mom was grouchy at first but I clapped hands, clapped her hands and sang “hey good looking…” and she smiled and attempted to participate, moving her mouth and smiling. We got cannula in place. I  left, went to the car and got birdseed and added to the feeder. From outside I saw C.N.A.s replacing the bed pad with folded sheet. Nurse John said that bed pad was there temporarily to assist in drying Mom. I went back inside, said good bye to Brooks. Annie from Activities came by and  introduced them and Brooks took a picture. I left about 10:20 AM.
March 14, 2014, Friday. Regina called at 1:30 PM from the NH to say that Mom has a low grade temperature, about 100. She said Mom’s lungs sound good so she suspects urinary tract infection (UTI). I asked about the triangle pillow and Regina said it couldn’t be here until Monday. I went to the NH about 4:40 PM. I filled both birdfeeders, blinds open. Mom was asleep with many pillows around her. The TV was on TCM. I changed the DVD and then put TV on TVLand for awhile (Andy Griffith). I couldn’t get Mom to wake up really. I did get some response from singing, patting her feet and hand slapping. She opened one eye occasionally. She did feel warm to touch and was coughing occasionally. C.N.A. Sefakor brought Mom’s tray. Dr. Maxwell came by and checked Mom’s pulse, temperature, lungs and tried to wake Mom. She said maybe they could reduce her pain meds but first she would talk to the C.N.A. about Mom’s pain level. I did not perceive any moaning or pain complaint from Mom. Mom ate a few bites of the foods and all of the dessert. I got her to drink about 20% of a cup of thickened water, one teaspoon at a time. Mom did hold my hand and made small responses to touch, stroking, hair brushing. C.N.A. Yvonne came by and petted, cooed to Mom and got Mom to open one eye and look at her. I put the DVD on and left about 6 PM. At home there was a long message from the Chaplain at Hospice, offering solace and giving instructions for reaching them in case I want or need them over the week-end.

No comments:

Post a Comment