Thursday, February 6, 2014

WED., FEB. 5 & THUR., FEB. 6, 2014

February 5, 2014, Wednesday. I got an email this morning from Hospice Nurse Regina saying that she was aware of the situation from last night and asking if we should get a CT scan. I said no, I didn’t think so but that I would come by. I went to the NH about 10 AM. Mom was sleeping soundly, O2 on, teeth in and TV on. I changed the channel to news, put some Purell in the drawer and went to the Nurse station to talk to Regina and the Nurse. Mom showed no evidence this morning of the leaning to the left or weakness in her hands and greeted staff with “Good Morning”. The TIA has passed. I left about 10:30 AM. I called Riley last night to tell him about the stroke. He said that he planned on being with Mom this evening in addition to Carl.
February 6, 2014, Thursday. Riley called today and said that he was with Mom about 2 ½ hours last night and we discussed her poor eating. He said Carl also came by and brought fresh flowers. I went to the NH about 4:40 PM. and I fed the birds, blinds open.
The C.N.A. was changing Mom when I came in and she got Mom into her chair. The DVD Singing in the Rain was playing. I got Mom set-up, changed the DVD to birds and went and got her tray. She ate fairly well tonight; most of her noodles, the summer squash, a couple of bites of bread and the strawberry dessert. I saw Nurse Steve in the hallway. He told me that Mom had a thorough exam by doctors today and passed. From interactions it is obvious to me that Mom has had some decline since Tues. We played patty-cake but I could not coax her to sing. We looked at photos and she did okay, identifying her family and her children with some mixing up of names. We hung up some clean clothes I brought then I assisted her to bed. I cleaned her glasses, her teeth, and put her O2 on. I changed the DVD to a Fred A. movie. Her ability to focus on a task is reduced. I left her about 6:30 PM then went to the charge nurse and discussed Mom. She was very good at ‘reassuring the relative’ and told me all the tests done today. Mom does have blockage in one ear. I didn’t press about Mom’s decline but did report it.

No comments:

Post a Comment