Tuesday, February 4, 2014

SUN., FEB. 2, MON., FEB. 3 & TUES., FEB. 4, 2013, NEW TV AND A STROKE



February 2, 2014, Sunday. I called Riley and asked him to shop for a new TV/DVD player for Mom to be paid for from her personal account at the NH. I would pay for it then get reimbursed. He did it. I went to the NH about 4:40 PM. I fed the birds, blinds closed. Mom was on her bed and her new TV was on the floor. The trays were late. I got Mom into her chair and started opening the new TV and cleaning off the old TV and getting ready. I asked Roxanne for a cart to carry the old TV out. I got Mom’s tray and we got started on eating. Riley arrived and we worked on the TV exchange. Roxanne brought a cart and helped Riley. Mom ate pretty well; about half of the lasagna, some of the vegetables and most of the mixed fruit.  Riley put the empty box in my car and took the old TV and DVD player.  Souhange returned to the room. I called for assistance to change Mom and assisted Mom into her nightgown and got her onto the bed. Mom was very wet. A C.N.A. came. We got her changed and set up watching the opera on DVD. I left about 7:10 PM. Mom was alert tonight. Her cough continues.
February 3, 2014, Monday. I did not go to the NH today. I talked to Riley. He said he would be able to stay with Mom tonight for supper. I asked him to figure out the remote and put on closed captioning. He said he would.
February 4, 2014, Tuesday. I went to the NH about 4:45 PM. I fed the birds, blinds closed. I found Mom in the small dining room. She smiled when she saw me. We returned to her room. She propelled herself across the dining room and to the hall but she was exceptionally slow today. I pushed her to her room then got her tray. I put the DVD on the migrating birds and noted Mom’s minimal interest. When I gave her Purell for her hands, I noticed her left hand was exceptionally unresponsive. I tried to get her to clap, play patty-cake then looked at her very slumped to her left. She was hungry and started feeding herself. We got set-up to eat and then I went to find a nurse. I spoke to Nurse Steve about Mom’s weakness, slumping on her left and he contacted Hospice. Mom ate very well; most of her enchilada, half of her salad and most of her fruit cup. I got the TV set-up with closed captioning. I got her teeth out and cleaned them then gave Mom a caramel. We tried playing patty-cake and singing. I could not get her to sing along, not even Jingle Bells. Hospice nurse Leslie DesJardin arrived and she recognized me as her art teacher. Then I recognized her, remembered her name. She did an exam and said that Mom had definitely had a stroke but it is hard to say when or how serious it is without admitting her to ER for a catscan. I nixed that, imagining the terror Mom would experience going to ER. She is terrified of hospitals. She is fragile. Nurse Leslie advised watching her for leaning to the left, pressure sores. If Mom gets better in the next few days, that will indicate a TIA. Nurse Leslie left and talked to Nurse Steve. I called for assistance to change Mom. I changed the DVD to Singing in the Rain. I got a trash bag from Nurse Steve because I couldn’t remember where I hid Mom’s for the clothes hamper. Yvonne came and we changed Mom and got her to be with O2 on. I left with dirty clothes about 7:30 PM. Her cough continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment